WE ARE HIRING - APPLY NOW!POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW (PDF)
Application deadline: NOW PROLONGED
Position duration: up to 34 months, from 1 April 2019 (to be filled immediately)
The postdoctoral fellow will perform protein-ligand binding assays in vitro and in vivo and
aid drug discovery processes in the development of bacterial degraders (PROTACs).
The candidate should have strong background in either protein
biochemistry/biophysics or molecular microbiology. Experience in
structural biology is no longer a prerequisite.
For details on how to apply please consult the PDF file. Please note that the requirements, tasks and deadlines listed there have been relaxed since the offer has been posted originally. Please enquire with us directly if in doubt of your eligibility. E.g. the "young doctor" criterium of FNP does not apply.
Description of the project:
Proteolysis-targeting strategies in bacterial systems for functional studies of proteins and improvement of antibiotics
Proteolysis-Targeting Chimeras (PROTACs) are heterobifunctional molecules targeting proteins for degradation. Eukaryotic PROTACs exploiting ligands of E3 ubiquitin ligases emerged as very potent drugs, due to their irreversible and recyclable mode of action. However, this approach has not yet been employed in bacteria, which lack the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway. We will establish whether an induced-proteolysis approach would be effective to down-regulate target endogenous proteins in bacteria, and engineer the chemical tools needed to do so. We will screen for suitable bacterial proteases and ligands, including known adaptor tags and protease ligands. Identified compounds will be validated in vitro and in bacteria. The resulting tool compounds will enable regulation of gene expression on the protein level for studies of protein function and drug action. Bacterial PROTACs could pave the way to create novel antibiotics, which is crucial in the era of increasing antimicrobial resistance.
This project will be performed in collaboration with foreign and
industrial partners: Ben Luisi (University of Cambridge, United Kingdom)
and WPD Pharmaceuticals (Warsaw, Poland).
Funding sources: FIRST TEAM 5/2018, Foundation for Polish Science
Computational students wanted for interships (projects on protein repeat motifs)
When applying, please include the following clause of consent in your application (e.g. CV):
Clause of consent
I hereby consent to have my personal data processed by the University of Warsaw with its registered office at Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, 00-927 Warszawa for the purpose of carrying out a recruitment process and selecting an employee and concluding a contract for employment at the University of Warsaw. I have been informed of my rights and duties. I understand that provision of my personal data is voluntary. (Please sign and date the consent)
Pursuant to Article 13 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation), University of Warsaw hereby informs:
- The Controller of your personal data is the University of Warsaw with its registered office at Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, 00-927 Warszawa;
- The Controller has designated the Data Protection Officer who supervises the processing of personal data, and who can be contacted via the following e-mail address: email@example.com;
- Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of carrying out a recruitment process and selecting an employee and concluding a contract for employment at the University of Warsaw;
- The provided data will be processed pursuant to Article 221 § 1 of the Act of 26 June 1974 Labor Code (uniformed text: Dz.U. of 2018, item 917) and your consent for processing of personal data;
- Provision of data in the scope stipulated in the Labor Code is mandatory, and the remaining data are processed according to your consent for processing of personal data;
- The data will not be shared with any external entities;
- The data will be stored until you withdraw your consent for processing of personal data;
- You have the right to access your personal data, to rectify, erase them, restrict their processing, object to processing, and to withdraw the consent at any time;
- You have the right to lodge a complaint to the President of the Office for the Protection of Personal Data
For all other positions:
We are always interested in qualified and highly motivated students and postdocs.
To apply for a position, please contact us with your CV, a statement of your research interests, describe the motivation for joining our laboratory, and arrange recommendation letters to be sent via email.